If you live in a country where you were not born and you are currently planning your wedding with a person from abroad, you have come to our law firm and we are always willing and ready to help the client. While the matter of the marriages of these people who are of the same nationality looks quite straightforward in the case of multinationals, one should pay attention to several important details. But of course, we are here to help you, that’s why you came to this site. We have some specific and very useful advice for you, which if you have plans for a wedding in the near future will be useful for you. So let’s start with the basics and what a wedding you’re actually interested in because we can distinguish these types:
- civil marriage
- concordat wedding, it is a kind that combines a civil and church marriage
Of course, the most important in the case of marriage will be documents that are necessary to take any procedure at all, below you will be able to see the list of documents that are necessary in the event of marriage with a person of a different nationality, and so:
- A document that confirms your identity must be a photo document, a passport or ID card will be sufficient for both civil and concordat marriages.
- Copies of birth certificates, if your copy has been issued in a language other than Polish or the act of your future wife, it will be necessary to translate it, what is important such translation can only be made by a sworn translator who is on the list selected by the Ministry of Justice
- A very important document that can often arouse controversy among you is a written document that confirms that your marriage will not be concluded because of circumstances that are inconsistent with generally accepted rules, i.e. it is not a marriage that leads either party to a specific benefit, although it would be financial or leading to allow or facilitate staying in another country.
- In the case of people from other countries, you will also need a certificate from your own country, which will allow you to confirm that the person is fully capable of entering into marriage and there are no contraindications, it is also about cultural differences and checking whether a given nationality can enter into a marriage with another, for example, a Polish one, in addition, this document must also be translated by a sworn translator.
- If there is a civil marriage, you must also provide proof of stamp duty.
- If a person wanting to get married to a foreigner had already been in a formal relationship, but for example became a widow or widower or is divorced, then a death certificate of an earlier partner should be provided if death occurred, if a divorce only suffers a document confirming this circumstance at least by a valid court judgment.
The above guidelines are the most basic ones, but they will allow you to outline how your situation looks like and to help organize the necessary formalities. Of course, professional advice always waits on the spot, because each client is treated individually, the best solution will be to come with us and establish all the formalities, we will always be happy to help. We cordially invite you!